Follow Me on Pinterest

Monday, February 6, 2012

Freezing Brussels Sprouts

Plunging into water.
For the past few weeks I have been ordering a basket of veggies and fruits for $15.00 from bountiful baskets, and about a week and a half ago I had a freezer day and frozen some of those veggies.  For the next few days I will be sharing my home freezing successes.  I was nervous at first, because I really didn't know what I was doing, but once I got my home freezing book out and started doing it, it was really easy and actually kind of fun!
This is what I received this week in my bountiful basket!
Freezing Brussels Sprouts!
Brussels Spouts actually freeze very well!  To prepare them for the freezer you first have to wash them and trim off any outer leaves and stems that remain.  I sorted them into small, medium and large sizes.  After sorting then you water blanch small sprouts for three minutes, medium sprouts for four minutes and then large sprouts for five minutes.  If you choose to steam blanch your sprouts, small ones should be blanched for four minutes, medium-sized for five minutes and large sprouts for six minutes.  Immediately following blanching, plunge into ice water until completely cooled and then drain thoroughly.  After they are thoroughly dried, you can transfer to freezer bags or containers and place in the freezer.  

My sprouts before the blanching process.
Freezing Q&A:

Why the ice water plunge?
This was a question I had when I first started reading up on freezing veggies.  Little did I know how important this step actually is.  If you don't cool down your vegetables as soon as they emerge from the boiling water or steam, they will get soggy.  So, it is very important not to skip this step!

The sprouts ready to be put in the freezer!


Share/Bookmark

3 comments:

  1. Nice tip, never thought of blanching them first! A. :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks! Blanching brought out a beautiful green to these sprouts. Learning a lot from my freezer cookbook!

      Delete
  2. Do you have to blanch them, or can you peel the outer leaves off and then sealameal themm

    ReplyDelete